Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Network Based Classrooms

As an English and reading teacher, a network based classroom seems like perfect situation for teachers and students.  A network based classroom allows for instant communication to take place between a number of different people. It allows the quiet students to speak up online whereas they wouldn't have in a face-to-face discussion. In an English classroom, students can create blogs for their AR books, discuss quotes and questions on a discussion board, and collaborate for research projects. Students are familiar with programs similar to Twitter and Facebook, so teachers spend less time teaching students how to use the web 2.0 tool. A networked classroom addresses the diverse needs of all learners because of the variety of tools available for students to use. Whether students are listening, communicating, creating, or sharing, there is a type of media out there that appeals to distinct learning styles.  Most importantly, the number one reason why network based classrooms seem to work well is because students are ENGAGED in the material. If students are not engaged in what they are learning, there is no point. It is as simple as that! 

Now, a network based classroom can seem like a perfect situation, but things can go wrong if the students are not taught be responsible for themselves and their learning. New technology brings new distractions, and for some teachers, this can hinder lessons and assignments. Teachers need to monitor all discussions and blogs to make sure that cyber bullying is not taking place. Students need to understand what is appropriate and what is inappropriate because inappropriate files can be easily shared with others by the push of a button. To me, the pros outweigh the cons because by simply setting expectations, teaching students responsibility, and taking an active role in the online learning will help keep students on track and engaged.

Sadly, I know that I cannot fully achieve a network based classroom because I do not have 1:1 ratio of students and devices. Yet, I can have a networked based classroom on days that I take my students to the computer lab or use the iPad cart. Any time we can communicate digitally is better than none. I have slowly been transitioning my students into a networked based classroom without even realizing it. Every week my students must read an article and write a response discussing their thoughts. Since February, my students have been reading their article online and posting their response to a discussion board. When they are finished with their original post, they must comment on someone else's post. Now, please remember that I teach 7th graders so it has taken several weeks to get more out of them than "I agree" as a response. Now, my students love completing the assignment on the iPads and participating in the online discussion. Many of them respond to several other posts instead of just one. I respond to posts so that students remember that I am aware of what they are doing as well.   When the students start working, my classroom is silent. You could hear a pin drop. They are silent because they are engaged in the discussion. It truly is amazing!  

This is just the start to changing my classroom, and I plan to incorporate more next year. I will first have to introduce my students to the many aspects of digital citizenship, so they will understand what is expected from them. Right now, my plan is for students to create a blog and create posts over their AR books. I would also like to use Google Docs for group activities because students can work and communicate from anywhere with internet access.
 
 Example of student discussion



I currently use MyBigCampus as a platform for all project sharing and discussions, but I have attached a link below that outlines a variety of other options for creating a network based classroom.
http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2014/02/teachers-guide-to-networked-classroom.html







6 comments:

  1. It's amazing that digital tools are so common place now that we are becoming networked without even realizing it. I love that you have them read articles online and respond to one another. Those and other such skills are ones our students will use throughout their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,

    A network classroom does make it easier for all students to communicate and become engaged in the material. I agree with your statement that a lot can go wrong in a networked classroom if students do not understand netiquette or digital citizenship. You mentioned not being able to go to a networked classroom because your district does not have the 1:1 option for students. Our district is in our second year of 1:1, but I still think having a fully functioning networked classroom would be impossible with a percentage of our students not having internet at home. So, once your district does go 1:1 you will still have issues with access to online resources outside of school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the idea of the attached lesson plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is something that my cooperating teacher did when I was student teaching. I love it! I am all about getting my students to build an opinion and support it with evidence. It also teaches them to be respectful of other's opinions.

      Delete
  4. I have actually heard many people indicate that the quieter students really do shine when asked to use online discussion boards to communicate. Sounds like you are doing some fantastic things in your classroom! I think digital citizenship will be foundational in every course we teach as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I actually bookmarked your link because those are some really good resources. I hope that when I get my own classroom that I will be able to integrate technolog into my classroom as you have.

    ReplyDelete